Wednesday, June 1, 2011

THE POWER OF CULTS - LDS Hymn Parody #5

After deciding on the title for this hymn parody (The Power of Cults), I realized that this one might turn out to be a little more difficult than the others.  But regardless of that possibility, I decided that I wasn't going to allow myself to be "intimidated" by the subject matter. 

When I was researching my way out of the Mormon Church, I began to realize that the church I had belonged to my entire life is actually a CULT.  Of course, I had heard it called that over the years, but I always responded very indignantly with, "Oh no, the Mormon Church is not a cult."  So to realize and come to the conclusion that it actually is a CULT was very upsetting to me. 

In doing my research on cults, I read the book by Steven Hassan entitled "Combatting Cult Mind Control."  I found this book to be fascinating as well as very enlightening.  This book helped to confirm my conclusions in recognizing that Mormon Church really is a CULT.  Also, when I visited the website http://www.cultwatch.org/, it became even more clear to me that the Mormon Church fits each description of a cult, right down the line.  Rather scary.

So without further ado, here is my latest addition to the ever-expanding ExMormon Hymn Book:

THE POWER OF CULTS
Sung to the tune of The Spirit of God, #2

The Power of Cults is a staggering problem,
The brainwashing process engaged in is strong.
As in most religions like in Mormonism,
The tactics they use are invasive and wrong.

(Chorus)
Like love-bombing, fear and stern intimidation,
Deception and lies are the name of the game.
Forbidden to do your own investigation,
Just close off your mind, believe what they claim.

It may make no sense, but that makes little difference,
Controlling your psyche, a method they use.
Resistance is futile, just maintain your silence.
But can’t this be classified mental abuse?

(Chorus)
With love-bombing, fear and stern intimidation,
Deception and lies are the name of the game.
Forbidden to do your own investigation,
Just close off your mind, believe what they claim.

The technique of high pressure selling is utilized,
For those who show interest, just MAKE them believe.
So hit them with bullshit until they are baptized,
And if luck should hold out, maybe they’ll be naïve.

(Chorus)
And then they will know the true danger of religions
That really are cults, it’s the name of the game.
In telling their lies, passing off made-up doctrines,
Deceiving the masses, but feeling no shame.

And so they control all the hyped information,
The members are busy, just don’t have the time
To question the issues or take any action,
As into a stupor they joyfully climb.

(Chorus)
And though we will shout that it just isn’t logical,
They’ll blindly hold on to whatever they’re told
By the Mormon Cult, and not anything will cancel
The faith that they cling to, much better than gold.

© Diane Tingen, 6/1/2011

So... as you may have noticed, I've been working my way through the list I made when I started this project.  I've now done 4 of the 6 that I had listed then (plus I Stand All Amazed, #193, which wasn't included in that list).  The ones remaining from that list (which are practically crying out to be satirized) are Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd, #221; and If You Could Hie to Kolob, #284.

Of course, after I finish those, I'm sure I'll think of others that need "revision" for inclusion in the ExMormon Hymn Book.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

On the Right Path said...

I also found this information to be devastating for me. Thank you for sharing!