Monday, June 6, 2011

FAR, FAR AWAY - LDS Hymn Parody #9

Far, Far Away...

Of course, this phrase conjures up images of the movie Shrek (and its sequels) these days.

Far Far Away (as you probably know) is the land where Princess Fiona is from, and where her parents live, who are the King and Queen of Far Far Away.  Quite a transition from Far Far Away to the swamp, where she eventually goes to live with Shrek after they get married (and have cute little baby ogres). 



The theme of the Shrek movies, as I see it, is being true to yourself, the real you.  And that's what Princess Fiona did when she embraced her real self as the female ogre, falling in love and uniting with Shrek's male ogre.  And that is a very important life lesson - being true to yourself.

What great movies!!  True modern classics, IMO.

And then there is Star Wars.

"A Long Time Ago
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away..." 

Also great movies!!  And also, true modern classics (again, IMO).  And the fact that Princess Leia is a strong, competent woman in the original Star Wars trilogy is a definite plus.  As is Princess Fiona in the Shrek series.

But actually, the main reason this particular hymn came to mind for parodying is because I received a request from a woman on Facebook to "let my amazing creativity go to town" (and I have to thank her for such a great compliment) on two hymns that were written by her great great grandfather, John Menzies Macfarland (1833-1892).  The two hymns she mentioned in her comment were (1) Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains, #212; and (2) Dearest Children, God is Near You, #96.

So here is the first hymn parody... and I'll work on the other one next...

FAR, FAR AWAY FROM THE LIFE I ONCE KNEW
Sung to the tune of Far, Far Away on Judea’s Plains, #212

Far, far away from the life I once knew,
Opened my eyes and the truth came into view.
Mormon no more, Mormon no more,
Mormon no more, I have closed the door
On the lies they fed to me,
On the lies they fed to me.


For many years, I believed what they said,
But then I started to use my brain instead.
Mormon no more, Mormon no more,
Mormon no more, I have closed the door
On the lies they fed to me,
On the lies they fed to me.


Told to have faith when I started to doubt,
But as I struggled, I just wanted to shout
What a buffoon, what a buffoon,
What a buffoon, I must be a loon
To believe the lies they teach,
To believe the lies they teach.


Now I'm upset that I stayed for so long,
Not realizing the party line is wrong.
Mormon no more, Mormon no more,
Mormon no more, but I know the score,
It's not what it claims to be,
It's not what it claims to be.


© Diane Tingen, 6/6/2011

No comments: