Monday, October 3, 2011

A MILESTONE, TO SAY THE LEAST...

I've been reading some blog posts this morning about the Mormon Church's Semi-Annual General Conference which took place this past weekend.  And I'm jazzed!!  Because for the first time in the 7 years since I left the Mormon Church, I totally forgot it was General Conference weekend until late last night when I went on Facebook and read some posts about it (both from ExMos, Semi-Mos and TBMs).  Woo hoo!!

Being able to say that I didn't waste a moment of my life on General Conference and its endless moronic droning on about meaningless drivel means the world to me.  Truly, I have arrived.  Woo hoo again!!

Looking back over the past 59 years of my life - 52 in Mormonism and 7 outside of it - I can say with certainty that I am happier now than I have ever been.  I am living my life for myself, based on my own opinions garnered from information I have collected.  To me, that is very reassuring.

And to think, it all started with Mile 1.  As Confucius said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

If we never take that first step, then we resign ourselves to be stuck in a routine that may or may not be beneficial to our future happiness.  Knowing that I am being true to myself and living an authentic life is its own reward.

Now if I could just get some of those Mormon hymns out of my brain.  I've written a bunch of ExMo hymns, and that has helped.  But every once in a while, a hymn like "Come, Come Ye Saints" pops in my head and keeps playing and replaying as if it's on a continuous reel (which is very annoying).  I suppose the fact that I was a TBM to the core for 52 years has something to do with that.  But one of these days...

4 comments:

Donna Banta said...

Woo hoo! Congrats on your conference free weekend. Maybe when a hymn comes into your head you should try imagining Boyd K. Packer in his underwear. That outta make the needle scream across the vinyl and stop the record...

Diane Tingen said...

Ewww!! BKP in his (magical) underwear... that's a disgusting thought!! But you're right... that could definitely make the needle scream across the vinyl and stop the record... forever!! Thanks for the suggestion. Gonna try it... LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Donna, what an absolutely brilliant suggestion. If I may quote from Boyd K. Packer's immortal 1976 talk (and pamphlet) To Young Men Only:

Sometimes a young man does not understand....He might fondle himself...[t]his you shouldn't do...[y]ou can quickly be subjected to a habit...

The power to prevent such habits or to break them rests in your mind...

I know a way to keep your thoughts worthy....Choose...a favorite hymn... Make it your emergency channel....As the music begins and the words form in your thoughts, the unworthy ones will slip shamefully away from your mid. Because it is uplifting and clean, the baser thoughts will disappear.

Thus we are taught that if thoughts of people in underwear trouble us, hymns can drive them out. But so inspired is the counsel that it also works in reverse! Thank you again for this uplifting insight.

jen said...

That is AWESOME! Just awesome!
I didn't forget. I was very aware it was going on. I couldn't decide between wanting to watch (WHY?!?!) and wanting to hide in my bed.

I finally went fishing.

And BKP in his underwear... that's just gross! :)